Saturday, May 12, 2012

Happy Mother's Day

My world changed on December 16, 2011. Permanently. It began changing earlier - in October - as my boys and I were taking a stroll down Main Street. I paused right outside the Main Street Tavern to answer a call from Daddy. He wanted to let me know that he had taken Mom to the Emergency Room because she wasn't feeling well. Mom wanted to assure me it probably wasn't any big deal and the only reason he had called was because Mom and I had plans to go shopping that afternoon. 


 As it turned out, it was a big deal and Mom and I never did get to take that shopping trip. 


Diagnosed with a second cancer diagnosis, (She had fought Multiple Myeloma a few years earlier) she fought for a bit, but was ultimately at peace that her victory was to come a different way this time. 


 She was completely and totally healed and resting in the arms of her Savior on the evening of December 16th. And there are no words to adequately state how much she is missed. 


I spent the last 40-mumble years of my life telling my mom everything. If anything happened that was any degree of interesting I would call her. And let's be honest, sometimes I would call to talk about things that had no interest value at all. I just loved to talk to her. Now, it seems that desire to call her is pure instinct. My hand reaches for the phone, before my brain can even reason that she is not there to answer. This happens daily. 


After experiencing this "instinct" a few hundred times, I got an idea... an inspiration from her.


You see, she loved my writing. She was always encouraging me to write more, and I always told her I would.. so I am. 


When something happens that I feel like I need to tell my mom about, this blog will be my outlet. 


When something happens that my mom would have been proud of, this blog will be my brag.  


When I remember something about my mom that I do not want to forget again, this blog will be the rock that keeps the memory mist from flying away. 


But fear not.. this blog is not going to be a sad, outpouring of daily grief. No way. This blog will be a joyful look back and a hopeful look forward. 


It's a Mommy blog with a twist. 


I invite you to join me on this journey and comment and share your own memories, or leave messages for your mom, or other loved one you can't reach my phone anymore. 


I have a feeling Mom will see and she will relay all messages. 


I  am counting on it because this is the only way I have to tell her Happy Mother's Day! 


Happy Mother's Day, Momma! I love you!



3 comments:

  1. Beautifully said, Mellie. I know she is so proud of you... always was, and always will be. (hugs)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melanie, sweetheart . . . reaching for the phone only to be jolted once more by the "reality" that I won't hear that sweet voice that's always been there to comfort me, to give me the latest medical disaster advice, or to share the latest "family funnies and brags", both hers and mine . . . this has been just about my hardest struggle. I know better, but somehow just can't quit hoping that wishin' will make it so. I love your new outlet, and I know that my Big Sis is smiling from ear to ear with pride of her precious and prolific daughter whom she loved more than life itself! I will be looking forward to your creative talents flowing across this page . . . and you know that our angels above will be loving it, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Still have your mom's and Grandma's phone numbers on speed dial on my phone. Still comforting to have them there, and I'm sure that they know what is in our hearts before we even think about wishing we could share it with them. Love you, Mel!

    ReplyDelete